Windscreen washer electric pump

Technical MGB discussion
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

Windscreen washer electric pump

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Have been having problems with my washer in that it doesn’t provide any water to the screen. I rummaged around in the bay and found the washer pump was hanging relatively free with one side of it melted as I guess had been touching part of the engine. Checked the green wires and they were providing charge so hopefully a new one will work.
However my question is where does the pump go or what should it be attached to? I can’t see an obvious place as leaving as is may create the same melting issue again.
Any help appreciated as ever..
S
MGB GT LE 1980
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen washer electric pump

Post by Vic Butler »

On my 77 BGT the washer pump is attached to the part of the bulkhead behind the exhaust manifold on the left hand side.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

As Vic says,the washer pump is fixed to the vertical face of the bulkhead just below the rear air filter housing .If you have the original saucepan shaped air filter cans the mounting holes are difficult to see.( It makes it easier if you remove the rear one taking care not to drop the gasket between the carb & the air filter , noting that the two breather holes in the gasket are at the top).Provided you have a new washer motor that has a mounting bracket with the same spacing as the mounting holes it should be a robust fixing. If you look in the passenger well you will see two captive nuts so UNF threaded screws with spring washers coming through from the engine side will hold the pump tight. You may find it easier to out the washer hoses on the pump (using a trace of fairy liquid on the inlet & outlet ports as they are a tight fit) first before fixing it to the bulkhead .
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Stephen Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Thanks found it now in place. My next challenge is getting the water to flow. Motor is buzzing but no flow. I’m guessing I need to blow the water to touch the motor nipple thing first in order for it to catch the water and then flow. I’ve taken out the green funk on the filter end..
Is this the right approach otherwise I don’t think the vacuum will be strong enough
MGB GT LE 1980
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

The pump should be self priming.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Make sure you have connected the wires the correct way round!
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Green wire to + & Light Green & Black to - . I had to press the stalk for quite a long time after a rebuild before water came through to the screen jets ( which I assume are unblocked on your car ).
I gave it a few short blasts (rightly or wrongly)as I didn't want to damage the pump.
Cheers Charles
1980 Roadster
Stephen Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

I didn’t think it mattered which slot the wires go in to the motor..I’ll check this and play around..
Thanks
MGB GT LE 1980