Headlamp Bowls

Technical MGB discussion
Paul Harris
Forename: Paul
Surname: Harris

Headlamp Bowls

Post by Paul Harris »

Any advice please on best replacement for rusty headlamp bowls....I like the sound of the plastic ones, but knowing how difficult it is to fit the chrome bezels back securely even on the original metal ones, I do wonder if this is wise .....
Many thanks
Paul.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Headlamp Bowls

Post by Ian F »

I've had the plastic bowls fitted for many years after getting tired of trying to keep the (original) metal ones in reasonable condition. They are not perfect, but they don't rust - so that is a deciding factor for me!

The downsides as I've found:

1. as you say the chrome trim rings don't fit snug, but I've never had one fall of yet!
2. I did have one of the retainers pull off, for the (very strong) spring which holds the sealed beam units in place. I had to make something up with a very large washer behind the plastic to make it strong enough. Not much of a problem but took a bit of time to fix.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris »

Thanks Ian.
I think I will follow your route given the rust issues with the metal ones. The trims don't sit that well on those either, so nothing to lose really !
Cheers,
Paul.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Don't forget the plastic ones won't provide an earth connection back through the wing! The headlights do have an earth wire (the black one) but if this is not in good condition or not making a good contact with the body, then the lights will be dim or not work at all. This is very important if you are using metal backed headlight units (rather than sealed beam units) as they might be relying on the metal to metal contact of the bowl to the wing, but if you are using sealed beam units then the black wire must be in good condition already for them to work. The easiest answer to overcome a poor earth is to run a new black wire from the connector on the back of the bulb to a good fixing on the bodyshell somewhere discrete.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris »

Thanks Peter, good point. Hadn't thought of that. I just want to do something quickly as the muppet that spent thousands doing a first class body restoration then went and put the old rusty headlamp bowls back in. I despair !
Paul.