1970 MGB Tecalamit Oil Filter

Technical MGB discussion
Paul Harris
Forename: Paul
Surname: Harris

1970 MGB Tecalamit Oil Filter

Post by Paul Harris »

My car has the vertical cartridge oil filter which I would really like to keep for the sake of originality. However, I do notice that the oil pressure takes a little longer to register compared to my later car which has the modern spin off type.
Does anybody else have this filter still fitted and does it cause any pressure registering issues please ?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 1970 MGB Tecalamit Oil Filter

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul,
In my experience, it doesn't seem to cause a problem. After all when the cars with this filter were new they did many 000s miles quite happily, and not only in MGBs, but also MGCs and many other BMC/BL cars as well. Although I have fitted a Tecalament type filter to the new engine I'm building that was more for convenience as when I stripped down the engine the bearings were in very good condition and if it hadn't been for an unrelated (to the oil filter) problem, It would have still been untouched.
It is wise when you first start the engine to let idle a low rpm until the pressure comes up, and if it hasn't been run for a few months to take the plugs out and turn it over on the starter until the pressure comes up.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris »

Thanks Pete.
I quite agree re the long use of the Tecalamit filter by BMC and perhaps I am running away from something that is not chasing me !

The oil pressure shows after about three seconds I suppose, but it is difficult to keep revs low on initial start up on choke just for those first few seconds.

The engine does not rattle on cold start up and seems healthy enough. I may well strip the filter and check that all the pieces are there....judging from other things I have found it would be wise to check !

Thanks again for your help.

Paul.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Morning Paul.
If I remember correctly I believe the oil pressure switch is last in the circuit (if you get my meaning) so when the gauge registers, the bearings have already received oil.
The only time I had bearing rattle on my BGT was when I fitted inadvertently the incorrect filter. Being upside down the filter must have an anti drain valve so I replaced it with one that did.
I think you're right. You're running away from something that is not chasing you. You're not experiencing bearing rattle so don't worry.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris »

Thanks Vic, I guess the luxury of the anti-drain valve was one of the reasons that I thought a spin-off filter would be a good idea......I don't think that my Tecalamit paper cartridge one has this facility...but I may be wrong.

In a way, I hope that I am wrong, as I would like to keep the car as original as I can !

I see that you are in North Hampshire.....I am near Bordon, but for some reason did not put this on my cv !

Kind regards,

Paul.
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Evening Paul.
I presume your MG has the inverted oil filter with the replaceable element. I had a look on the relevant parts list and there is no mention of an anti drain valve so unless there is one in the housing that bolts to the engine in theory the filter must drain. Is there any oil in the bowl when you remove it to change the filter? I would have thought it would take more than 3 seconds to fill it.
My previous BGT (1967) had the filter hanging down and it made oil changing awkward so I purchased the filter housing for the latest B and converted it to an inverted spin on, same as my current B. I use only Fram filters, don't have the part number to hand, as these have an anti drain valve. I can get them from a small independent motor factor
I know Bordon and surrounding areas very well as I used to make deliveries there in the late 1990's. Bet it's changed a bit since then.
For our sins MGB Register number 1054 and I live in Andover.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris »

Morning Vic,

I haven't as yet needed to change the filter, so don't know how much oil would be in it. The fact that it seems to have a drain plug on it indicates that there might well be residual oil after the engine has shut down, but of course there would be as the removal operation would be done normally with a warm engine and I guess any drain back would be a fairly slow process....like overnight....
It is a large filter and, like you, I would have thought it would take longer than three seconds to fill it....although of course oil pressure may well start to register before it is completely full ?
I guess the only way to prove anything will be to get the spin-off assembly from, say. an 18V engine and try it. Nothing will be destroyed in the process and I can go back to the original one if there is no improvement.
That said, earlier advice to stop running from something that is not chasing me is very sound....I have been playing around with a similar conversion for the same reasons with my 1937 TA......and having done it, it makes no difference whatsoever !

Yes, Bordon has changed (I actually live in Blackmoor, just outside the town)...and not for the better.
As you know, the Army have largely moved out and naturally the developers have moved in !!!

Paul.
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Morning Paul.
Had a look in the workshop manual where it states that the drain plug should be removed from the filter housing to drain the filter before removal so it would appear that the filter housing has some form of an anti drain set up.
I know Blackmoor, delivered to the estate there a few times.
. Vic
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Vic and Paul
I think the drain plug was fitted when they went to the inverted filter, as without it changing the filter results in quite a mess from oil escaping when the filter bowl bolt is loosened off so the filter must be full at that stage. If you have driven the car around a little just before changing the oil, it also shows the drain down is not instantaneous. On checking, I can't see any means of there being an anti drain facility, such as a ball valve, in the filter head I have just replaced. However I discovered on stripping it down some of the parts were missing - such as the felt washer on top of the filter plate and the retaining spring. I don't know if these were to stop the filter draining, but in my case it seemed to take a long time for the pressure to come up if the car had not been used for a few days (such as a week), but if used daily the pressure was registering on the gauge after a couple of seconds.
If anyone is worried about the delay in the pressure coming up (on the gauge) then an option is to change the filter head to the later type and use a spin on filter. These have a valve to stop them draining down when the car is left for some time, providing you buy the good quality ones. You do loose the facility to drain the filter before you unscrew it though. So it will make some mess as you change it, but this will no worse than changing the filter on a modern car.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Afternoon Pete.
The anti drain valve in the correct spin on filter ensures that virtually all the oil remains in the filter when it's removed. There is a very small amount of oil left on the filter housing but no spillage.
I was only guessing that there might be an anti drain valve in the earlier inverted filter housing.
. Vic
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT