1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Exemption from MOT for 40 year vehicles from next May

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Utter madness.
If you don't have a test then how do you know there isn't something wrong with your car. My 1971 B failed this month on an imbalance of braking effort across the rear axle. It turns out one of the pistons was seized in the wheel cylinder. I didn't know, it felt fine to me. We are talking here about cars that weigh a tonne and can touch a tonne (100 mph), not some old relic like Genevieve. I will continue to have my B tested if I'm allowed to. £35 well spent in my view.
Is it a charter for those people who know their cars are unroadworthy to carry on using them. We could end up with all sorts of wrecks on the road, not just ones we regard as classics.
Just as important are the insurance implications. How do you prove that the condition of your car didn't contribute to any accident. At least with an MOT you can say it was roadworthy on the day it was tested, which has to be less than a year ago. What will the insurance companies make of this, will they continue to cover cars without an MOT for the same premium as those with one ? What's the experience from the pre 1960 cars ? All my friends with those cars are still having them tested.
If you look at the proposed definition, it says vehicles that have increased their power to weight ratio by 15% will be considered 'substantially modified' and so will still need an MOT. So in the case of a B that means more than 109 bhp if the car hasn't been lightened. Not a problem for my old steam.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I've just received my insurance renewal from Peter Best. I will find out what their ruling is as from 1st April next year my 1977 BGT becomes historic and exempt from an MOT. I don't agree with it and would have preferred a basic test covering brakes, lights,tyres, seat belts and corrosion.
Regarding the power question my B has been modified to stage 2 but has not been on a rolling road so I don't know what the power output is. I will still have my B and my 1975 Land Rover MOT'd.
Vic Butler
PS. Omitted steering from the MOT check list.
Last edited by Vic Butler on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Had a word with Peter Best Insurance this morning re the MOT question and I was told that if the vehicle doesn't require an MOT then they don't insist it has one and the premium will not be increased if no MOT is done. However they said that the onus is on the owner to ensure that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition. I think I will carry on with the MOT whether it is exempt or not.
. Vic Butler
Last edited by Vic Butler on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton

Post by John Watson »

I think this is not a good decision, I will continue to get my 1964 MGB checked with an MOT’d every year.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

You have the opportunity to tell the DfT what you think of their decision by signing the following online petition :-

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200995

It was started by David Simister editor of Classic Car weekly. They carried out a poll which found that 55% of classic owners were against the exemption. Ok its not a massive majority but it bigger than Brexit and look what sh*t that's getting us into.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF