Mill Garage, London E18

General MGB discussion
Paul Harris
Forename: Paul
Surname: Harris

Mill Garage, London E18

Post by Paul Harris »

My 1970 MGB GT was supplied by Mill Garage, South Woodford, London E18, run by Dick Jacobs until he was forced to close in the early seventies. There is a small plaque on the radio console to this effect.
However, for the first year of its life, the car was apparently used as a demonstrator by H A Saunders of High Wycombe. They were large BMC dealers but did not appear to hold the MG franchise, whereas Mill Garage did.
Does anybody else own an MG supplied by either of these concerns please ? I would be interested to compare notes as I am a little puzzled about all this.
The car was sold to its first "proper" owner as a "new" car by H A Saunders (I have the receipt) but the dashboard plaque says "Supplied by Mill Garage, E18.
Any thoughts gratefully received....perhaps I should get out more !!!!!!
Paul.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Mill Garage, London E18

Post by John Watson »

Hi Paul. My 64 B was supplied by a grange in Romford in Essex, I also have a plaque under the bonnet with the name on.
Do you have a heritage certificate? On mine it stated the car went to University Motors the were the big London distribution co of MG cars.
Get one if you have not got one, there is a link on www.mgb-register.org
Good luck
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Paul Harris
Forename: Paul
Surname: Harris

Re: Mill Garage, London E18

Post by Paul Harris »

Hi John,
Thanks for this...I think you have provided the answer......there is (or was) a difference in those days between Distributors and Dealers.
In my case, Mill Garage were, like UM, major distributors of MG cars to the Trade whereas, again in my case, H A Saunders were Franchised Dealers for some BL brands....and pretty big ones at that apparently, but they did not hold the MG franchise.
I'll certainly take your advice and get a Heritage Certificate though.
Thanks again.
Paul.