Grampian Grey MG's

General MGB discussion
Phil Henley
Forename: Phil
Surname: Henley
MGOC Member: Yes

Grampian Grey MG's

Post by Phil Henley »

I have owned my 1967 Grampian Grey MGB GT since 1972. I know that this colour was only used on the GT models from 1965 to 1968 before it was discontinued. I heard that it was discontinued because it was pretty much invisible with the street lighting of that time. Not too sure if this was true - Heritage can you help here!!

I am very keen to build up a register of 'Grampian Grey's' as I have only seen 10 others in the 40+ years that I have owned mine. So if anyone out there has a genuine 'Grampian Grey' then please email me at peehen@talk21.com preferably with a piccie or two. Lets face it these are getting rare now.

For info I am in the latter stages of completing a complete restoration of my Grampian and would be happy to send photos to anyone that might be interested
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Grampian Grey MG's

Post by John Watson »

Hi Phil. Sounds a good idea, we need these special MGB's registered.
Have you spoken with our MGB Register Registrar, Chris Wilkins? His contact details are on the web site.
We have 18,000 on the register I am sure some may be MGB GT's in Grampian.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Phil Henley
Forename: Phil
Surname: Henley

Post by Phil Henley »

Hi John,
You seem to be a leading light on this site! This is my first foray into researching 'Grampians' and I accept your point that we need to register these 'special MG's' so that we don't lose touch with them.

I would appreciate any help that you and others could give me to build up a list of current Grampian owners. I know that there are quite a few in the United States but some may be dubious as they are either outside the timeline or are on roadster models - seems like it is a popular colour (color!) for restoration projects out there!!

Cheers

Phil
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by George Wilder »

Phil
If you do this and find the cars ask to see a copy of the BMIHT certificate - that will confirm the original colour.

Clausager said in his Original MGB Book that he was not prepared to go through all the production records to see how any of each colour but left the door open for others to do it...............

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam