Post by john maddocks »

Has anyone had experience of garage scissor jacks. Thanks
David Wicks
Forename: David
Surname: Wicks
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Garage Jacks

Post by David Wicks »

Do you mean the scissor lifting type of whole car lift or just the common or garden scissor jack as supplied with most modern cars?
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I keep a small one in the boot as a back up. Have had a wheel nut welded on to the screw makes it easier to wind up with the wheel brace.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Paul Wiley
Forename: Paul
Surname: Wiley
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Paul Wiley »

I use a small hydraulic jack. They are mechanically very efficient so the jacking process is very easy. HOWEVER the car is too low (just) to allow the jack to go under the car even on a smooth surface. So a second jack is needed to start the lifting process. If you are tempted to get a hydraulic jack check the clearance first. Some jacks might fit but don't assume that all will do so.
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER

Post by ROGER COOPER »

I note the hydraulic jacks are mentioned. I have two of these in trolley jack configuration. One is for general garage use, the other is built into my motorcycle workbench. Both are good quality jacks but both of them cannot be relied upon to stay up, so if you use a hydraulic jack you must also support the car on axle stands or ramps if you value your chances of survival working under the vehicle.
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT