LED bulbs

Technical MGB discussion
David Lonsdale

LED bulbs

Post by David Lonsdale »

Has anyone any experience of using these bulbs, are they a straight swap?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: LED bulbs

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi David
I haven't tried LED bulbs, but anything that makes an MGB more visible at night is surely worth considering. There are some doubts that the replacement LED bulbs are legal as they are not E marked. However as many manufacturers now offer LED headlights as an option (or even as standard) then it is likely that legislation on replacement bulbs will follow at some time in the future.
As I understand it they don't necessarily improve the headlights as the LED bulbs are quite bulky and have several light sources, so they are out of focus for 7" round headlight units. Incidentally I have found that Lucas H4, Cibie H180 (or Z180 if you can find some) and Hella Vision Plus 7" headlight units are considerably better than others, especially when fitted with modern high output bulbs like Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Extreme Night Vision.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Robert Dickinson
Forename: Robert
Surname: Dickinson
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Robert Dickinson »

I have fitted some to the stop and tail, front side lights, and the 4 indicators with a flasher unit. They have brightened up the lights considerably so hopefully will be seen a lot easier.I have not tried headlamps as am already using halogens.
They are not like the cheap ones from China I tried a few years ago.
Here is a link to the place that I have bought from,Gill is very helpful, and the lights live up to their claims.
Hope this helps
Rob

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/
David Lonsdale

Post by David Lonsdale »

very much obliged for your helpful advice gents, thank you.:)
David Wicks
Forename: David
Surname: Wicks

Post by David Wicks »

I have also changed the front sides and the indicators - much brighter and use less current so kinder to old wiring. They are claimed to last 50,000 hrs so will outlast the car and certainly this owner. Much safer lighting for modern use IMO
A point to note in case you are unaware is that the flasher unit and hazard unit, if a separate one is standard on your model, will need replacing with electronic items as the current flow is insufficient for the old hot wire type.
Paul Wiley
Forename: Paul
Surname: Wiley

Post by Paul Wiley »

As with any modern replacements for old incandescent light bulbs take care. They can greatly increase the available light. BUT in an accident the other driver may claim they were dazzled by your lights causing the accident. The police will not look kindly on your 'improvements'.

I have fitted the most powerful LED bulbs I can find in my GT but only inside the car. There is a big improvement to the lights on the dashboard and over the rear cargo space. Also the instruments. I haven't managed to get to the 2 over the steering column yet but the others on the heater controls etc have been changed. The additional light isn't enough to be a problem and the dimmer control still works. Some LEDs are not dimmable so check before buying.
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER

Post by ROGER COOPER »

Your experience Peter on alternative lamps and bulbs is good news - I have printed the page for future reference and may now convert from my TOC-H candles to something a little better.

Good point to check is the security and cleanliness of any joints on the supply leads to the lamps and also to make sure that the earthing of the lamps is absolutely sound and rust free (even fit return cables if you are not sure) as a poor earth connection will seriously impair the brightness of whatever lights you fit.
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Just a word of warning. I fitted LED bulbs around on my B and got a ticking off and nearly an advisory from the MOT guy. Something to do with Type Approval. Mad as it may seem i have reverted back to the original filament bulbs. I have retained the led Bulbs in the instruments as they such a big improvement.
Mike Barclay
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

I fitted LED side, rear and indicator bulbs and clear lenses to my Land Rover many years ago and no MOT tester has made any comments.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine