Technical MGB discussion
Ian Jarrett
Forename: Ian
Surname: Jarrett
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

MGB Dashboard Paint

Post by Ian Jarrett »

Can anyone tell me were I can obtain the original type "Crackle finish" paint for my dashboard.
So far I have only been offered "Wrinkle Finish" paint which does not give the same affect.
Ian Jarrett
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: MGB Dashboard Paint

Post by Ian F »

Hi Ian
I've used the one from Moss, which as you say is called "wrinkle finish". I found it very difficult to get a good finish on the dashboard with the dash in-situ, but it worked extremely well on the ash tray of my 72 BGT. I'm sure this is because it requires specific conditions and application for a successful result - probably applying exactly as stated on the aerosol can, putting plenty on, and drying in a warm dry atmosphere (indoors for my ash tray). There is also Plasti-Kote #217 but again this is stated to be "wrinkle finish" and I suspect may be practically the same as the Moss supplied one'
You could try reading this article - http://www.mgexp.com/article/wrinkle-paint.html - the suggestion here is to use a hair dryer to get the right wrinkles! Again - warmth and dry conditions required for a successful job.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

The only way to reproduce the original finish is take out the dash to have correctly painted by a commercial paint finisher,

Did this many years ago (20) still looks good far better than any rattle can approach.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I used VHT Wrinkle Plus on my glove box door to good effect, and also for a new panel to replace the dummy radio panel, which I have used as a switch panel for the auxiliary lights . The wrinkle is slightly coarser than the rest of the dashboard but looks much better than the leather cloth it had been covered with when I bought the car. The graining of the wrinkle is dependent on the air temperature. The warmer it is the finer the wrinkle. I did the glove box in the winter and heated the garage with a fan heater for a couple of hours before spraying. This got the air temperature up to 18 deg C, and gave a slightly coarser finish than the rest (original) of the dashboard. The switch panel I did last summer when the air temperature was around 24 deg C and this matches much better. The rest of the dashboard has faded to a dark brown though, and the newly sprayed items are black, but I can live with this.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965