DVLA registration of an imported MGB

General MGB discussion
Ian McKay
Forename: Ian
Surname: McKay
MGCC Member: Yes

DVLA registration of an imported MGB

Post by Ian McKay »

Has anybody gone through the DVLA hoops regarding the first registration of an imported MGB?

If so, are there any tips?

I purchased my 1972 MGB when I lived in Melbourne way back in 1982. I returned to the UK in 1991, with my car, which I put into storage. 1991 was pre NOVA, the VAT clearance was a paper based system. Earlier this year, I handed it over to a restoration workshop, and now it's restoration is complete...but I can't drive it yet. I completed the fearsome V55/5 form, and sent it off to the DVLA, along with all the supporting documents, plus my cheque for £55.

My application has been rejected twice, for various reasons...like no NOVA (which did not exist when I brought the car into the UK), and my omission of foreign registration certificates and my identity documents....all of which were indeed submitted with my application.

The last rejection was on the grounds of unsatisfactory dating evidence. I submitted production records from the late Leyland Australia, which listed chassis numbers and engine numbers by year of assembly....very kindly provided by the MG Car Club of Victoria...what more could I do?

I cannot believe the bureaucracy can stop me now.....but on reading other car club forums, this could indeed be a possibility....help!

I have bundled all I have together, and sent it all off the the MGCC, in the hope they can help get me over the final hurdle.....fingers crossed.....!

Has anybody got any advice please?

Thanks.....
Ian McKay
Australian assembled 1972 MGB Roadster.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: DVLA registration of an imported MGB

Post by John Watson »

Ian. Contact John Hutchinson at the MG Car Club 01235 555552. He deals with this and has recently had a similar case of an MGB from New Zealand
Good luck
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay »

Hello John,

Thank you for your suggestion, that is indeed exactly what I have done.

John H. now has the rejected V55/5, plus everything else, bar of course a Britsh Motor institute Heritage Trust Certificate, which I will never get, because there were no records kept of cars exported in component form.....and there is no Australian equavelent of the BMIHT.

It seems that in the absence of a Heritage Certificate or manufacturer's date certification, the DVLA will only accept dating from a recognised car club provided it conforms to what seems to be very strict conditions, and they will want to know what the club bases their assumptions on, and how they arrived at any date of manufacture.....they seem very inflexible about that.

The date of manufacture of my car is stated on my original purchase receipt, the Australian registration certificate, the Customs & Excise importing documents, and the Leyland Australia computer print out of Australian production records which the MG Car Club of Victoria very kindly sent me, all of which I submitted in my twice-rejected application.....Caramba!

I was trying to think of what more I could do....I don't want to be seen to be giving up and just dumping the matter in John's lap without doing as much as I could do myself.....
Ian McKay
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

Hi Ian
Another suggestion is this website in AUS, the contact is a Tom Axcel who might also be able to source a build doc.
http://mgbsmadeinaustralia.org/
Good luck
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay »

Thanks John, I followed up on your lead..and got an almost instant response from Australia. I have sent them everything I have on my car, they think it may be possible for them to dig around in the background and get a bit more history on my car....particularly in the ten years between 1972 (build date) and when I bought it, in 1982.
I will keep you posted....thanks again.
Ian McKay
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Ian
This sort of problem is very much part of John H's job role at Kimber House.

Many years ago the DVLA set a scheme using recognised car clubs to do this identification on their behalf - ie use the experts. It is easier for them to monitor and have a considtant approach this way.

The MGCC scheme has a defined procedure which has just been updated (I wrote the original)and will be found in the members area of the club website section Official Documents sub heading useful documents. If the inspection procedure has to be carried out it is not arduous.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay »

Thanks for pointing me in the direction you did there George.

I had a good read of the relavent advice....blimey....registering a foreign MG in the UK makes the BREXIT procedure look simple.....anyway, John H. now has my entire DVLA application for the car, so hopefully he, along with the MGB registry, can work some magic

I do have a good friend who lives right next door to the 'Australian DVLA' in Melbourne who is working on retrieving archived information they have on my car....right back to it's rolling off the Sydney production line in 1972....it's been 27 years since I last drove the car, so I suppose I can wait a bit longer....but I am becoming just a little bit keen to be behind its wheel again, now it has been so beautifully restored.......
Ian McKay
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Ian
A beautiful car will be a joy to own and drive

Go (when the weather is dry) and enjoy

Mine MGB has been on the road continuously since I purchased in 1984 - they don't like sitting in garages

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Andrew Vigor
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Vigor

Post by Andrew Vigor »

Hi Ian, It may be worth you asking BMIHT. According to Clausager, "As all of the CKD cars were allocated a car number by Abingdon and were entered in the production records with special codes, they are fairly easy to track." I would imagine BMIHT would have these records, though you may need to talk to them, rather than send a normal request through the website. BTW aso according to Clausager the number for your car should begin with YHN5.
Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay »

Thanks George, the restoration workshop (MG Motorsport, in Bovingdon) did an amazing job on restoring the car....fastidious and meticulous in the extreme.

It is well lmproved on its condition when new, in 1972. Things like the doors, boot and bonnet all close to a perfectly flush fit....they never, ever did that before.

The finish and the paintwork is jaw dropping. The colour (zircon white, which is really a cream) is a uniquely Australian colour code. It looks like the paint is still wet, but of course it is not, it's as hard as glass.

It is just a bit frustrating that I am being held up by bureaucracy now. I suppose the DVLA have to take a consevative approach to this sort of procedure....but we all know there are so many unlicensed, untaxed, and unroadworthy cars and drivers out there, why is it so hard if you want to play by the rules?

Every fine sunny day that passes, I think to myself that is another day of driving and enjoying the car that I have lost, and will not ever get back......I'm told that patience is a virtue...where can I find some please...........
Ian McKay