Fuel Pump relocation on 1980 MGBGT

Technical MGB discussion
Ian Smith
Forename: Ian
Surname: Smith

Fuel Pump relocation on 1980 MGBGT

Post by Ian Smith »

Suffice to say the PO of my MGB made a real pigs ear of installing the Facet Fuel Pump:
drilled through some wires (now fixed);
stretched the tank to pump pipe so it split (now fixed but not happy with it);
left pump loose (ie not bolted down etc);
(my favourite - or not) blocked fuel pump 'hole' in rear bulkhead with a Baked Bean Tin lid drilled to take the exit pipe - hmm fuel pipe against sharp edge?
Add to that the pump sounds like a mini pneumatic drill so I'm going to replace it.

Not a fan of being under cars whether on axle stands or not I looked on the Interweb thingy and noticed some people relocate their pumps to the engine bay for ease of access. This could also keep costs down so my plan is:
plumb the flexi fuel pipe directly from the tank to the copper pipe just in front of where the original pump was;
install a quality Lucas new (but freebie) quiet self priming electronic 'pull' pump between the in line fuel filter and the carbs towards the front of the engine bay;
wire this directly from a fused 'live' ignition controlled circuit - can I take this feed from one of the existing fuses (other alternative is to take the existing fuel pump power wire and run it back under car to engine bay inside a heat and impact resistant flexible cable cover - bit of a faff).

I'll then buy a decent rubber grommet of the correct size to fit the existing fuel pump hole.

Also any tips on getting Fuel Gauge to work again (PO left a note to say it did work before the facet farce) - I suspect its a bad earth to the tank but who knows.

Any thoughts on this? Last real job before MOT.

Ian
1980 MGB GT Manual/OD
1973 Triumph Stag Manual/OD
1981 Triumph TR7 V8 Manual (Trackday car)
2008 Skoda Octavia VRS TDi Estate with 200+BHP Bluefin Remap - now does over 50 mpg!!
2006 BMW R1200GS
1980s Dawes Galaxy and matching Tandem
Ian Smith
Forename: Ian
Surname: Smith

Re: Fuel Pump relocation on 1980 MGBGT

Post by Ian Smith »

Update,

We checked pump and its a 'rear' (ie push) one so im going to slot it in the hole at the back and see how it goes!

Should make fitting a bit easier - Ive also found the fuel pump mounting shroud so that's good as well.

Ian
1980 MGB GT Manual/OD
1973 Triumph Stag Manual/OD
1981 Triumph TR7 V8 Manual (Trackday car)
2008 Skoda Octavia VRS TDi Estate with 200+BHP Bluefin Remap - now does over 50 mpg!!
2006 BMW R1200GS
1980s Dawes Galaxy and matching Tandem