SU CARBS

Technical MGB discussion
Timmy Wainwright
Forename: Timmy
Surname: Wainwright
MGOC Member: Yes

SU CARBS

Post by Timmy Wainwright »

Hi all.....now then I need my SU Carbs rebuilt as my 78b is running a tad ruff and won't pass an emissions test at an MOT. I am currently toying with the idea of doing it myself......Is it simple enough or do people recommend I pay to get it done??
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: SU CARBS

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Timmy
It is pretty straightforward, and you can buy an overhaul kit from Burlen (See http://sucarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburetto ... s/id/1616/ ) for the MGB. Your car should have the HIF carbs rather than the HS4 so make sure you get the right rebuild kits. You will need two of these kits, as the carburettors are handed (front and rear) and the kit might have different parts. Burlen are very helpful should you need advice on the phone.
Only take one carb to pieces at a time, so you have the other one as a reference. An aerosol of carb or brake cleaner will get all the oily muck off before you start. An old toothbrush will help remove the stubborn stuff.
The Haynes or BMC/BL workshop manuals will help especially setting up and adjusting the carbs after you have refurbished them. The Haynes MGB Restoration Manual is also very useful as it tells you how to take them apart and look, test for wear and put them back together.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
David M B Leggeat
Forename: David
Surname: Leggeat
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: SU CARBS

Post by David M B Leggeat »

Timmy,
The technical section of the Burlen website also gives instructions on how to dismantle and re assemble SU carbs..
Regards,
David.
MGB Roadster 1972
MGC GT 1968