PREPARATION FOR SPRING RUN - Clutch vibration and noise

Technical MGB discussion
Graham Dix
Forename: Graham
Surname: Dix

PREPARATION FOR SPRING RUN - Clutch vibration and noise

Post by Graham Dix »

Will I ever be ready for the Spring Run! This is an issue I have had ever since the rebuild and never been able to find the time to address it due to an ongoing house renovation which is now all but finished. The clutch is operating perfectly in all respects except when the engine is quite hot, after a long run the clutch makes a rattle and a vibration is felt through the pedal. It could be due to a worn spigot bush on the end of the crankshaft but as that was renewed during the rebuild it think it unlikely. Last year I realised that during the rebuild I had not replaced the return spring on the clutch pedal (located under steering column). Replacing this made an improvement in that the problem is less frequent. I suspect that the clutch release bearing is touching the clutch pressure plate causing the vibration and noise but why it is doing that I am not sure. If anyone has an answer to this please let me know. Could it be that the fluid in the clutch slave cylinder is expanding with heat from the engine causing the clutch release arm to move just enough to allow contact? Changing the clutch fluid hasn’t helped. My temporary solution which seems to be working is the fitting of a couple of springs between the clutch slave cylinder and the release arm. See photo.
Regards
Graham Dix
Chairman and Technical Advisor
Attachments
Wire spring retainer fixed to Clutch Release arm and springs - Photo upside down
Wire spring retainer fixed to Clutch Release arm and springs - Photo upside down
20160327_132701.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4635 times
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: PREPARATION FOR SPRING RUN - Clutch vibration and noise

Post by Dave Linkson »

Hi Graham, yes, I get that noise & vibration on the pedal occasionally when hot, was thinking it was the spigot bush needing replacement or not lubed when the new engine went in. But I wonder why the noise and vibration would happen as it does, as surely it should be quiet when the clutch is being used, wether the clutch is released or not.. But what you've found is worth checking out though. Thanks, your tips are a welcome breath of fresh air on this site, keep them coming! Regards, Dave