Roadster hood frame swap

Technical MGB discussion
Dave lee
Forename: Dave
Surname: Lee

Roadster hood frame swap

Post by Dave lee »

Hi, my 67 Roadster hood has the frame that slots in, so roof down is a case of taking everything apart. Can anyone tell me if I get the fold back frame will my hood still fit or will I need both to convert? It's just the hood that is on there is in very good condition, thanks.
1967 Roadster
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Roadster hood frame swap

Post by George Wilder »

Dave
A quick search of the MOSS site for new hoods.

This gives different part numbers for identical spec. hoods on each type of frame - maybe that's a clue to the answer to your question.

I have had a packaway hood for over 30 years now - it goes up so rarely it's hardly a an inconvenience plus I have the back shelf for luggage and easy battery access.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Dave lee

Post by Dave lee »

Unfortunately mine is parked on my drive, it is covered but I would prefer to put the hood up when parked, it's not the quickest thing to do. So was the answer yes even though a different part number?
1967 Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Dave
The fold down frame hood will be different from the removable frame hood because it has flaps on the inside that attach around the frame. I suspect that is why they are different part numbers. I think it is likely though that the removable frame hood will fit over the frame of the fold down hood, so if you can get a folding frame at a reasonable price buy it and try your existing hood over it. If it doesn't work then either sell the it again and get a frame and hood or buy a hood that suits the frame.
You won't gain much in convenience, as you will still have to put the frame up then fit the hood over it. Even then the fold down hood is a lot of faff to put up, and takes some time. Certainly not as convenient as a hood on an MGF/TF or MX5 or MR2 roadster all of which can be put up or down in seconds.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Dave lee

Post by Dave lee »

Thanks Pete, I'll have a few practice runs to hone my skills on the art of the hood :)
1967 Roadster
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I have a Pack away hood on my 1964 B. It is good and bad. Good because you have a big open space behind the seats and looks neat especially when the tonneau cover is fitted, the hood rolls up and fits neatly in the boot and the frame can be packed in 2 parts or together in the factory supplied bag. When travelling you have loads of luggage space ( my wife needs this)
The bad bits, you have to be a good weather watcher so you don't get wet. We have put the hood up in approx 5-10 mins, the frame is put together first and clipped in place, but NOT opened, then unroll the hood and throw over the frame, position the rear two clips, then fit the U shaped alloy clips on either side, leave the front of the hood hanging, then place the rear peg clips in place at the back, now sit in the car, do not open the frame, then clip the front rail on with the over centre clips, then reach over your head and push the hood frame back to stiffen the rear of the hood, then move forward and push the front frame to stiffen the front roof. Finally clip the securing clips to the frame. I hope this helps.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

A video from YouTube about putting the hood (soft top) down and up, and fitting the half tonneau (or hood cover). It features the later type (1970 onwards) of hood which is attached to the car. Unfortunately the commentary is not in English, but you will get the idea. Importantly it shows how to correctly fold the fabric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXkcmunkgg
So far I have not been able to find a video about the hood that removes completely, but dealing with the fabric is somewhat similar for all hoods except for the removable type you take it off the car and pack it in the boot (trunk).
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Dave lee

Post by Dave lee »

That looks so much easier than stripping everything off, pulling the frame apart and stowing it, will definitely look into changing mine. My son has a TR6 and always just unclips the front and sides then just pushes it back rather than do the unclipping folding thing.
1967 Roadster