Lucas bullets

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Lucas bullets

Post by Not_Anumber »

For the benefit of anyone who isnt aware or hasn't yet had to work it out the hard way like i just have:

Lucas bullet connectors need to be fitted using a dedicated crimping tool (or just soldered very carefully at the end).

Regular crimping tools and crimping ratchet pliers intended for generic electrical spade, ring and bullet connectors are utterly useless for Lucas bullets. However carefully you will try they will confound your efforts by squashing the Lucas bullets so they no longer fit in the sleeve connectors and also the wire will pull straight out as soon as any mild force is applied. Doubly useless and dangerous.

So, never confuse the words Lucas and lucar when buying a crimping tool intended for the Lucas bullet connectors on your B. Otherwise you will end up with something as much use as an udder on a bull.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Lucas bullets

Post by Issug987 »

Good advice, the Lucas bullets require a special hex crimping tool, you can solder them but it won't last. The bullets were good in their day, but if you are not bothered about originality, much better automotive connectors are available.
Attachments
IMG_20240514_162630_391.jpg
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

I have always soldered mine over 40+ years and never had one fail.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Post by Issug987 »

That's great, the debate regarding soldering or crimping is often brought up on forums, I always like the quote  "a man who fell from the top of a 17-story building, and who said to himself as he passed each floor on his downward plunge: “I’m all right so far.”..... the bullets were not designed to last 40+ years.

The Lucas bullets were never intended to be soldered, you can, lots of people do, including some good and reputable firms (even Lucas repair dealers in the day!) and it sounds like you've done a good job, the now difficult to get tin/lead solder may have helped too, along with some skill in your soldering. But there are much better, more reliable modern automotive connectors.

Saying that , my car is still full of them !!!
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

I don't think anything on our MGs was designed to last 40 years!

The bullet connectors on my 61 Midget have had quite a bit of attention and replacement, whilst those on my '72 BGT are (as far as I can recall - I have owned the BGT since 1978) original. I may have replaced some whilst doing major bodywork repairs - new front wings etc. - but I can't recall ever replacing any.

Ian F
MGCC member
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Ive soldered the ones that I have added and replaced but with the intention of also going back and crimping them when the tool arrives.

And as I was typing this I just heard a resounding thud on the doormat so hopefully the right tool has arrived and I can progress this over the next few evenings.

Please shout if anyone wants to borrow it.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Screenshot_20240515-115108.png
These are the bullet connectors I use. Very solid and very easy to insert the wire and solder in place. Available in different sizes to suit all auto wires.

Ian F
MGCC member